Decision Maker: Shadow Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider a proposal for a devolution offer. Item amended 02.10.2019.
This report sets out a proposed devolution framework to enable local organisations, particularly town and parish councils, to take on greater local control over the running of Buckinghamshire Council’s services and assets.
1. To agree to set up a three year devolution programme with a phased roll out. In phase 1 will include:
· The existing legacy service devolution arrangements in place continuing for highways, and for green space in the Wycombe district area;
· Support given to local organisations, including town and parish councils, to take on community assets such as community centres, toilets, memorials; and
· Place-based pilots.
2. To agree the Service Devolution and Asset Transfer Policy for Buckinghamshire Council as set out in Appendix 1.
3. To provide support to organisations to take up the devolution offer through:
· An online toolkit and guidance.
· Dedicated staff to help progress devolution requests.
· Technical and specialist advice in areas such as:
· Health and safety
· Human resources
· Insurance provisions
· Contract management
4. To note the implementation next steps are set out in section 4 of this report, including development of a wider service devolution offer for phase 2 & 3 of the programme.
Report author: Sara Turnbull
Publication date: 12/11/2019
Date of decision: 12/11/2019
Decided at meeting: 12/11/2019 - Shadow Executive
Effective from: 20/11/2019