Issue - meetings
Draft Budget 2020/2021
- Appendix 1 BC Corporate Plan 2020-2023 Final, item 6 PDF 1 MB
- Appendix 2 Draft Revenue Budget - Final, item 6 PDF 364 KB
- Appendix 3 Draft Capital Programme - Final, item 6 PDF 246 KB
- Appendix 4 Detailed changes - Final, item 6 PDF 205 KB
- Appendix 5 Budget Consultation, item 6 PDF 2 MB
- Webcast for Draft Revenue Budget and Capital Programme
This report sets out the draft revenue budget and capital programme for Buckinghamshire Council. This includes updates on the latest estimated funding position, service budget pressures and the key financial risks facing the Council in the future, along with a copy of the draft Corporate Plan. The Council Tax Resolution report will accompany this report and contain the final information from the other precepting authorities leading to the total Council Tax for the area, which the Shadow Authority is required to approve. This report will include special expenses where relevant. The budget has been prepared on the assumption that the current arrangements for special expenses will continue.
· To approve the draft revenue budget and capital programme and the draft Corporate Plan.
· To note that a supplementary report, the formal Council Tax Resolution, will accompany the final Budget to Shadow Authority.
· To agree the delegation of decisions on Opt to Tax to the S151 officer (see section 9).
Members were asked to consider a report that set out the draft revenue budget and capital programme for Buckinghamshire Council. The report included the latest estimated funding position, service budget pressures and the key financial risks facing the Council in the future, along with the draft Corporate Plan and how it aligns. A number of areas were highlighted which included additional investment in Adult Social Care (ASC) and Children’s Social Care, £4m investment in plane and patch works, £2m for drainage and gullies and investment in the new community boards.
The report had been out for an initial public consultation.
Members welcomed the additional monies put into plane and patch works and it was highlighted that this work would commence once the weather improved to ensure long term improvements. Flooding had also been an issue more recently and extra budget to tackle weed growth was also welcomed.
Mr Ambrose stated a number of points following questions from Members:
- Staff costs were included in the report in appendix 2 at a total of £176m and did include other employee related costs e.g. training.
- A budget for HR and organisation development transitional activity had been included in the implementation budget previously agreed by the Shadow Executive.
- Risks that related to any Grant funding were identified, monitored and mitigations put in place.
- The cost of borrowing had been included in the corporate costs section of the budget, as part of the revenue budget.
- Unitary savings would be achieved over the next 3-5 years.
- There was a contingency of £3m built in to cover potential risks and budget pressures in terms of demand / complexity within Adult Social Care.
It was highlighted that changes to the original business case in 2016 had been made due to the delay in implementation and the financial impact this had had on budget decisions that needed to be made. Some members raised concerns that due to this, Wycombe residents were being penalised more than other areas and that council tax increase could have been adjusted over a longer period of time.
Members discussed the inclusion of the Corporate Plan and it was raised that the layout of the Values had been amended since their agreement by the Shadow Executive.
Members praised officers for the reports provided and the Leader stated that there would be a second period of public consultation, an internal scrutiny process and then a final decision taken at the meeting of the Shadow Authority meeting in February.
- To approve the draft revenue budget and capital programme and the draft Corporate Plan.
- To note that a supplementary report, the formal Council Tax Resolution, will accompany the final Budget to Shadow Authority.
- To agree the delegation of decisions on Opt to Tax to the S151 officer.
A formal vote was taken as follows: